Rashtrapati Bhawan is located in Maharajgunj, Kathmandu. It is also known as Sheetal Niwas. It was built by Rana Prime Minister Chandra Shumsher in 1923 for his son Krishna Shumsher, the youngest son from the side of Badamaharani Lokabhakta Lakshmi Devi.
This palace was built over the 18 acres of land. The earthquake that struck Nepal on 1990 B.S. (1934 AD) badly damaged this palace. Krishna Shumsher then ordered to re-build the Palace in a modern way. Later on he handed over this building to the then government.
After the abolishment of the Rana Regime, this building was used as the State Guest House and then as building of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Later on the Council of Ministers through the cabinet decision converted this building into the Presidential Palace on July 4, 2008. Shital Niwas now hosts the President’s office and residence.
This building was designed by Mr. Kumar Narshingha Rana and Mr. Kishore Narsingha Rana.